Your involvement makes history.
The United Workers is writing a new chapter in Baltimore’s history. We become creators of history through our action as leaders, working from the grassroots up to make a difference and to shape our city’s values and culture in light of what most people in the city already believe: All human life is equally sacred, worthy of dignity and respect.
We create history by working together. Your involvement is what makes the promise of Inner Harbor as a “Human Rights Zone” become realized. Your involvement is what shifts our city’s developments from poverty-zones to fair developments. You involvement is how we build an economic human rights movement to end poverty, led by the poor.
There are many ways to be involved. Everyone who shares our human rights values and vision of building a movement to end poverty is welcome to get involved. Whether you are a low-wage member or an ally, you’re involvement matters and makes a difference.
Here’s how you can be involved:
- Conduct consumer outreach at the Inner Harbor during the peak summer season.
- Help plan and participate in Solidarity Actions during the summer as well.
- Become a member of Students for Worker Justice.
- Volunteer at our office (we can always use help with research and outreach).
- Hold a House Party for the New Organizers Endowment and Sustainers Fund.
- Do consumer outreach during the summer at the Inner Harbor.
- Go on Human Rights Tours in the fall and winter, reaching out to communities with our message of fair development to build pressure on the Inner Harbor developers.
- Help with outreach, as we’re always reaching out to faith communities, other labor organizations, schools, community groups and other leaders in the community.
- Join us for our big events, like those we’ve already held – including events like the Freedom from Poverty March, All Night Vigil for Justice, Living Wages Hunger Strike, Human Rights Concert, B’More Fair, the Human Rights Zone March, the Justice Theater Conference and the Artful Activism Summit.
You can get involved by contacting us at 410-230-1998 or sending an email to email@example.com.
Ryan Harvey: On Being an Ally of the United Workers
(Filmed at the City from Below Conference in 2009.)
Highlights of Some Ally Events and Activities…
Below are photos of some of our ally events. We’d love to see you here with us at the next event! (Click photos for link to Flickr Photoset.)
Artful Activism Summit
Human Rights Dinner 2010
Justice Theater Conference
Students for Worker Justice
Faith and Justice Forum
Thanks in Solidarity Party & Human Rights Concert